Only last week we were having some gorgeous weather…perfect for taking pictures of one of my last two summer makes: Burda 09/2012 #108/#109 Dress. From the moment the issue came out I’ve been wanting to make this dress. Those diagonal darts remind me of the 60s mod dresses…like Simplicity 1609 Jiffy pattern that has been Gertie’s go-to summer dress
The fabric is a left-over from a fabric purchase I made back in 2008 in Denmark…doesn’t it scream Scandinavian design? It’s a fairly heavyweight cotton similar to quilting cotton.
As you may notice the dress is way more fitted than the original pattern. I don’t know what Burda was thinking when they design it. I understand you want to achieve a loose fit but you need to keep the armhole sizing: I had a huge gap in there. I had to take out 4 inches (10 cm) in total at the sides tapering to nothing at approx 4 inches from the hem to keep the A-line shape. I added back darts to avoid bagginess at the back. I also had to raise the shoulder seam by 3/8 (1 cm)
I chose a decorative stitch on my machine to hem the skirt….I get annoyed with using straight stitch all the time and wasting the hundreds of other options I have!
Instead of the scooped back neckline, I went with the V-neck design meant for their V-back top sweatshirt version (Melissa made some nice version for herself and her mom. I know I should have chosen a purple zipper but I did with what I had.
Despite my not being able to do any pattern matching as I didn’t even have enough fabric for a longer hemline, I did manage to completely hide the diagonal bust dart and match those two taupe circles. So happy about that!
Can’t wait for next summer to wear this dress again and hopefully make more versions!
I am participating with this dress and two more makes to Abilmente Sewing Pin Content…Keeping my fingers crossed