Pants fitting challenge completed: Alice + Olivia Vogue V1051

V1051-cover

::Pin-up wannabe mega fail :: Un misero tentativo di foto da pin-up::

After tweaking the Alice + Olivia Vogue V1051 pattern a bit more I decided it was time to test the pattern on proper fabric.

I didn’t want to use this precious light dark gray wool but I had no other suitable fabric for pants…and I certainly couldn’t go out and buy more: despite my lack of updates I am still on the Stash Diet!

Dopo aver fatto alcune modifiche al modello Alice + Olivia Vogue V1051,  ho deciso che era ora di fare una prova su della vera stoffa.

Non volevo usare questa preziosa stoffa di lana grigia ma non ne avevo altra adatta a dei pantaloni…e non potevo assolutamente andare a comprarne dell’altra: anche se non vi ho aggiornati sto ancora facendo la Dieta della Stoffa!

V1051-back

I still didn’t manage to fix the diagonal wrinkles at the back despite using Kenneth King’s Baggy Seat Fix! Any idea what to do about that?

Do you think I should decrease the top waistband curve?

Non sono riuscita a risolvere del tutto il problema delle pieghe diagonali sul dietro nonostante abbia usato la tecnica di Kenneth King. Avete idee?

Secondo voi, devo ammorbidire ulteriormente la curva sulla parte superiore del cinturino?

V1051-back-orta

Here is another back view with Orta Lake in the background.

Ecco un’altra foto del dietro con il Lago d’Orta sullo sfondo.

V1051-front

I am quite happy with the front…except for…

Sono abbastanza soddisfatta del davanti…tranne che per…

V1051-detail

Two huge mistakes that make the pants unwearable without a cover up…

1. I accidentally ironed some interfacing on the front waistband…and there’s no way to get rid of the glue.

2. And the inner waistband is peeking out: it’s either due to the bulk or to not having sewn the waistband far enough!

I am so annoyed!!! I may have to go and buy more fabric to make another pair: can this be allowed during the diet?

Due clamorosi errori che mi impediscono di mettere i pantaloni senza coprirli…

1. Ho stirato della teletta autoadesiva per sbaglio sul cinturino…e non riesco in alcun modo ad eliminare la colla.

2. La parte interna del cinturino esce leggermente fuori: non so se sia perché l’ho cucita male o per l’eccessivo volume dovuto alla teletta.

Mi scoccia davvero! Credo che dovrò andare a comprare altra stoffa e farne un altro paio: posso nonostante la dieta?

Orta-Lake---San-Giulio-IslandWith Easter coming up and Spring breaks I thought I’d show you San Giulio Island on Orta Lake (with birdseye view)…one of the most gorgeous sights in the area the background of one of my first blog posts nearly 4 years ago.

Happy Easter!!

E con la Pasqua dietro l’angolo e le vacanze ho pensato di farvi vedere l’isola di San Giulio sul lago d’Orta (vista dall’alto)…uno dei posti più pittoreschi della zona che ho usato come sfondo di uno dei miei primi post quasi 4 anni fa.

Buona Pasqua!

20 Comments on Pants fitting challenge completed: Alice + Olivia Vogue V1051

1. barbara
    May 19, 2014 at 3:35 am (4 months ago)

there’s another (and i think better) way to fix this.

this shows the fix as being made in the crotch length, but if there’s no fabric to deduct there, the same procedure can be used just below the crotch seam, at the very top of the leg. pivoting at the outer seam is what makes it happen. i have found it to be foolproof.

if this link doesn’t open to exactly the right video, it’s called Pants Fitting and Drafting, April 29th, 2013 and can be found on the archive list.

• Sewing Princess - Silvia
      May 19, 2014 at 7:55 am (4 months ago)

Thank you so much for this info! I will go and check it out today

2. Emily
    May 3, 2014 at 11:45 am (5 months ago)

Oh no about the glue. Bugger! I hope you manage to get it out or embellish over it…. Do let us know if you do. Otherwise the trousers look pretty jolly great.

I had loads of trouble getting the bagginess out of the butt on various pants and found some fab sites that helped a lot. If you have crotch length right then it looks like the crotch curve and inseam may need a little more tweaking. Check out Jennifer Sterns sew along here, which is very helpful – http://www.sawyerbrook.com/salon/khaki-shorts-f54/sewing-topic-355.html

3. Alessa
    April 27, 2014 at 12:12 pm (5 months ago)

Ooh, Lake Orta! We spent Easter there about two or three years ago, it’s so lovely! Although it was the middle of March and foggy for about 5 out of 7 days… ;)
    Aww, how annoying to have those mistakes on the waistband on an otherwise lovely pair of pants. They look great on you!
    Alessa recently posted..Crazy April – Italian version

4. Pia
    April 18, 2014 at 7:24 am (5 months ago)

I haven’t done pants fitting yet, but I have similar problem in the back in RTW, so I’ll also have to figure it out. The back wrinkles look bigger at the inseam than at the side. It almost look like it’s too long & pulling the CB crotch down (don’t know if the dip in CB waist is a design feature or fitting issue). It’s as if the angle of the top portion & the leg portion isn’t quite right. I’d be tempted to try the “Very flat seat” adjustment on this page: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4244/everyone-can-have-jeans-that-fit … Or this version of KK inspired ‘fisheye dart’: http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.co.uk/2001/03/alterations-fisheye-dart-pants.html … on a muslin first of course! Maybe some more well-lit front, back, & side mug shots to help diagnose the problem better?

What a bummer about the interfacing accident. How about a tone-on-tone embroidery that covers the mark and makes it look like a design feature? The shape I’m seeing is a fern – like what Kate Middleton wore recently (http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/style/469643/Kate-Middleton-black-dress-with-silver-fern-embroidery-Get-her-look-for-less) – but in a more subtle sophisticated matching gray tone. The design could even mask the peek-a-boo inner waistband!

• Sewing Princess - Silvia
      April 21, 2014 at 9:33 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks Pia for the advice! I really like the embroidery idea. I tried everything but didn’t vanish. Prior to the final pants I made a muslin and posted on the blog if you wish to see that. I will look into your tips.

5. Joy
    April 17, 2014 at 5:13 am (5 months ago)

These are gorgeous pants – I think the fit looks pretty darn good, especially if compared to RTW.

6. Andrea
    April 17, 2014 at 3:35 am (5 months ago)

Oh, what a bummer about the glue on the waistband! Well, I’m not sure what your Stash Diet rules were, but I allowed myself fabric for muslin, so if you consider the next go around with this pattern a muslin, then you should be fine, right? Also, you have been making quite a few pieces since January so you must have some credits to your name by now. Unless of course you did not allow yourself credits either?
    Andrea recently posted..In Real Life

7. Mari Anne
    April 16, 2014 at 8:57 pm (5 months ago)

If you can’t get rid of the glue, try to paint it whit same color as the pants.

8. PendleStitches
    April 16, 2014 at 3:08 pm (5 months ago)

Argh! That’s so annoying. Especially as these are so lovely. I think more fabric is a must!
    PendleStitches recently posted..Devon

9. Rosy
    April 16, 2014 at 1:19 pm (5 months ago)

Los pantalones son preciosos!! yo pienso que las arrugas en el trasero se pueden eliminar en el patrón, solamente necesitas clavar con algunos alfileres ese exceso de tela, lo que modificará un poco la alineación del patrón espalda, eso sí, en el pantalón ya terminado no tiene validez, solamente en el patrón para usarlo la próxima vez que lo vayas a coser. Aunque creo que eres demasido “crítica” contigo misma! Muchos besos, Silvia.

10. Jacqui
    April 16, 2014 at 10:27 am (5 months ago)

Re interfacing glue – try a little orange oil it usually lifts most glues. You might have to do it a few time to remove it all. Nice pants, and I adore the photos of the island and lake.

• Sewing Princess - Silvia
      April 16, 2014 at 2:34 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks for the tip. I will need to see where I can get it. I tried another product but it didn’t work.

11. sewlittletime
    April 16, 2014 at 9:36 am (5 months ago)

Oh no re the interfacing accident! How annoying! I definitely think you should be allowed to buy more. The fit looks great!

12. Dottie doodle
    April 16, 2014 at 8:13 am (5 months ago)

They look amazing and a really good fit. You should definately buy more fabric!
    Dottie doodle recently posted..Patchwork Easter bunny

• Sewing Princess - Silvia
      April 16, 2014 at 2:17 pm (5 months ago)

I am quite happy with the front…but I think there’s more work to do at the back…if I manage to get it right. If not well, I will still make another pair. I really like that style despite skinny pants being all the rage!

13. Gail
    April 16, 2014 at 3:28 am (5 months ago)

Oh no! It’s heartbreaking that you had that interfacing accident! They look so good otherwise! I think you should be allowed to buy another piece of fabric to redo these :-)
    Gail recently posted..Thing One

• Sewing Princess - Silvia
      April 16, 2014 at 2:15 pm (5 months ago)

Thanks Gail! Now that I have your permission I will definitely have to buy more!

14. debbie
    April 16, 2014 at 1:56 am (5 months ago)

Lovely pants. I’ve been known to scorch very visible parts of a pattern piece. ..so infuriating!

• Sewing Princess - Silvia
      April 16, 2014 at 2:15 pm (5 months ago)

Yes, Debbie…infuriating is the right word! Both mistakes are so visible I can’t even pretend they are not there.

%d bloggers like this: